Tuesday, March 20

How glass embedded itself into my palm

Today was a near perfect day. I rolled out of bed around 11:00 AM, ate my favorite breakfast cereal, threw on some old clothes and set out to take some wonderful pictures. I have yet to really use my new camera [the one I bought on ebay and was a little obsessive about when I first bought it] so I decided since it was sunny out and I had nothing else to do, I was going to attempt to take some halfway decent pictures.

I drove to Newport and headed to the cliffwalk. I have lived in Rhode Island for almost 22 years and have never seen the cliffwalk. For those of you unfamiliar with RI, Newport is a small island in Rhode Island [which is not an island at all...more on that later] that has beautiful cliffs overlooking the ocean. There is a 3 or 4 mile stretch of pavement that circles these cliffs and really is breathtaking. Playing tourist in your own city or town usually leads to a feeling of wonder and guilt - the first because you realize you live next to and among true beauty in nature, and the second because you are too much of a lazy ass to go and appreciate this beauty, so lazy in fact that it took you 20 + years to venture 5 miles down the road. Lewis & Clark would be ashamed.

Anyway, instead of rambling about what happened, I figured a photo essay was in order. Enjoy :)




The first shot. Though black and white is pretty kick ass, it doesn't quite capture the blueness of the ocean. It was bluer than I had ever seen it.





I don't know why, but I really like random writing on stone or brick. I don't know why it says sleep over and over in a stamp like format. Makes for a good photo op.



This is New England. The temperature outside is 46 degrees. The water temp is probably 34 at the most. There were at least a dozen people surfing. Hard core, dude.






Doggie prints in the sand. Makes my heart smile.



So I climbed down the famous "forty steps" - which are all dedicated in memory of someone.



So I walked down the steps to get a better picture of this waterfall hidden between two of the cliffs. But I still couldn't see it very well. So I climbed further down. It was slippery, and steep....and....



I fell. On a rock. That had broken sea glass on it. Which proceeded to embed itself under my skin. Way under. Owwwww.

Ok, suck it up. There are pictures to be taken!





Pretty.



True story.


The end :)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Muffin! I miss you a lot...and looking at your pictures made me miss RI and being lazy with you for hours on end :(

I hope your dinner with Mo was good...I am so jealous that I couldn't be there...why am I a teacher again? I have no life.

miss you
xoxo Muffin

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 5:24:00 PM

 
Blogger Molly said...

Pretty, pretty. "Oh my god! It's like Laguna Beach!" =)

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 7:12:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

My boyfriend just moved here from Rhode Island and he describes it just as you do!

Friday, March 23, 2007 3:59:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home