Saturday, April 7

thou shall not consume high fructose corn syrup

I am one of the many fortunate people to suffer from migraine and cluster headaches. Almost every. single. month. They coincide with my period (sorry guys) and usually keep me in bed for at least an entire day, sometimes more. This month, I have a lovely cluster headache that has taken up residence on the left side of my head and behind my eye. Making me feel like this:



Owwwww. Someone come make it stop. Please?

On another note, tomorrow is Easter. Easter is my favorite of all the over commercialized Christian holidays...mainly because of the candy. Easter has the BEST CANDY. Cadbury mini eggs? A-Mazing. I could eat seven hundred bags of them in one sitting. But Easter is a strange holiday, stranger than most. What's the story again? Jesus was killed by a herd of large rabbits who laid eggs on the cross and then rose from the grave, took the eggs and the rabbits responsible for his murder and dipped them in chocolate and served them to all his disciples......

something like that.

Possibly the most bizarre part of Easter are the 40 days leading up to the holiday, better known as Lent. For those of you unfamiliar with Lent, it is (according to en.wikipedia.org) the time that "Jesus retreated into the wilderness, where he fasted for forty days, and was tempted by the devil. Jesus overcame all of the temptations of the lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, and the pride of life by citing scripture to the devil, at which point the devil left him, angels ministered to Jesus, and he began his ministry."

Our response to his sacrafice? Christians and Catholics and I'm sure some other religions I'm leaving out give up something in their lives for forty days to display their devotion to Jesus before he dies. So to show piety, people give up soda, cake or other high fructose corn syrup products. Some people will give up just chocolate - but still eat the skittles and vanilla-flavored pound cake. Some people give up just Coke, but drink Sprite and Dr. Pepper like it's going out of style.

Apparently giving up some type of fattening, over-indulgent food is comparable to forty days of fasting in the desert.

I understand tradition - but I don't understand doing things in order to display faith to others. Like as if you give up artificially sweetened drinks for several weeks, you must be a better person than the rest of us.

(I know I'm going to get some hate mail for that.)

Oh well. All I know is tomorrow I am leaving my house early so I can get to my parents house in time for my dad's homemade breakfast. :)

Happy Easter everyone

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, man! Sorry to hear about your headaches. That doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Don't hate me, but I've never had a migraine (**knock on wood**).

Happy Easter! Hope you enjoyed your dad's breakfast. :)

Sunday, April 08, 2007 9:23:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I agree about the whole giving up for lent thing. And what's up with no meat on Fridays? Is lobster thermador really a sacrifice???

Monday, April 09, 2007 9:11:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home