Saturday, March 24

Is this normal?

I know many women who have some type of shopping addiction. Several of my friends cannot live without their dozens of pairs of shoes. A lot of women just love to shop for anything. Period.

I am not like those women. I don't really like to shop - I mean, I enjoy buying a cute pair of shoes, or a cute new purse, or a pair of jeans that make my ass look really great. I do. But, the whole idea of just going shopping for no apparent reason....I mean, why? Retail therapy? Pshh...it's all sort of weird to me.

I do have a shopping addiction though. I'm not proud of it. But get me within a five mile radius of a Barnes & Noble or any kind of book selling establishment, I lose all control. It doesn't matter that I have a shelf's worth of unread literature. I cannot resist. I become intoxicated by the new book smell, the endless shelves of books - fiction, nonfiction and everything in between. I know that I could just as easily go to the library and read the same books for FREE. I could save hundreds of dollars and still get the same type of intellectual stimulation.

But the book wouldn't be MINE. I wouldn't be able to read it whenever I wanted [or not read it whenever I wanted] and it wouldn't take up another perfect space on my book shelf.

Ok, this probably sounds somewhat mental. I KNOW. But I can't help it!

Today, I went and deposited my paycheck. And then, to celebrate, I went and bought about $75 of books.

Exhibit A:



Granted, one is a cookbook. But still. And one is a book of essays to help inspire me to write my entry into the Writers' Digest annual competition.

STILL.

[NOTE: Yes, that is a teddy bear on the right side of the picture. MY teddy bear, Seymore. I have had him since birth. I will never, ever give him up. He is the only consistent being in my life.]

Anyway. I guess I just have to accept that I am addicted to owning books. Well, books in general, but specifically owning them. I guess there are worse addictions. Crack, for example.

By the way.



Dyed my hair last week. It is way dark, but apparently the closest color to my roots. Which means, I might actually NATURALLY have dark brown hair. Who knew?

4 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

I can't imagine which one of your friends loves shoes....

Monday, March 26, 2007 8:29:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm feeling you! I don't understand the shopping addiction either. The only thing is, I'm a big reader but I don't buy full-price books at the bookstore. I usually just check them out from the library, and some of them I've bought from book sales (especially library book sales!). :)

I think a lot of that comes from just not wanting TONS of them around. I love the look of full bookshelves, but I've moved quite a number of times in the past 10 years, and books are a bitch to transport (I got rid of quite a few when I moved cross-country in 2005).

Monday, March 26, 2007 8:39:00 AM

 
Blogger Molly said...

Oh! And love the hair and YAY to the job AND...let's meet up again soon and discuss Blogher. We need to get plane tickets, etc.!

Monday, March 26, 2007 11:11:00 AM

 
Blogger Sasha said...

That is awesome. My best friend has the same shopping addiction and has WAY too many books to show for it. :)

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 9:35:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home