Saturday, January 20

Coffee talk

For the past two hours, I have been sitting in a local coffee shop getting some work done and browsing the internet for potential jobs and summer fellowship opportunities. In addition to being productive, I have also been listening to a woman sitting at the tables next to me discuss literally her entire life story. She is sitting with two men, neither of which are her husband, I know this because I know her husband is deceased. I know THIS because she talked about him and their home in Hudson Valley where she was a teacher for over 25 years. I won't subject you to anymore information about said woman....but let's just say that she has barely stopped talking long enough to take a breath or sip her coffee.

The men didn't say much, responding occasionally with comments but only barely open their mouths before she was off and running again with yet another anecdote from her life. She laughed at her own jokes, she answered her own questions, she discussed her likes and dislikes as if she was on a first date with herself.

It has been mind numbing. I understand that people come to coffee shops to talk - but there is no need to loudly talk incessantly for two hours. This is what I get for not remembering my headphones. I could be blasting John Legend right now and enjoying my coffee peacefully. Instead, I am learning that Woman A likes to listen to books on tape in her car instead of listening to music and that books on tape are the way she became interested in submarines.

Enough said.

So...you know that cliche that everyone has the "senior freak-out" - the crisis that occurs for everyone about to graduate from college? I didn't think it was going to happen to me. I truly didn't believe that I was going to find myself panicking about an event that I have been prepared for for years now. I guess I try to portray the calm, cool, collected version of myself I'd like everyone to see....when on the inside, there is a volcano of anxiety about to errupt and cause me to watch Roseanne reruns until 3 AM on Nick at Nite due to insomnia.

Speaking of which. Does it bother anyone else that Family Matters, Roseanne and Full House are all now played on Nick at Nite? When I was little, Nick at Nite played I Love Lucy and Mork & Mindy re-runs. Old shows. Shows in black and white or fuzzy color....not shows with Steve Irkel! What is happening - are these shows consider old now? How can TGIF shows be on Nick at Nite????? Where is Mr. Cooper when I need him?

I know I'm not "old." But for some reason, 22 just sounds strange. Responsible even. And now this. If Salt N Peppa start playing on the B 101 oldies station here, my quarter life crisis will be in full swing.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

Hi! I'm so happy you have a blog now. I'm linking you to mine and adding you to my daily reads. Yay!

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 4:35:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

you are trying hard to do your best. keep it up

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 12:11:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home